Adding a swimming pool is an investment that adds value to your home and enhances your quality of life. Among the various options available, fibreglass pools stand out as a preferred choice that combines durability and low maintenance with a modern aesthetic. In this blog, we will explore why a fibreglass pool can be the perfect option for you.
What Is A Fibreglass Pool?
A fibreglass pool is made of a pre-formed fibreglass shell. It is constructed off-site and then transported to the installation location. The shell is created using layers of fibreglass, resin and gel coat, resulting in a smooth and waterproof surface. The fibreglass pool is designed to withstand ground movement and temperature changes, making it a long-lasting option for homeowners.
Concrete Vs Fibreglass Pools
When choosing a swimming pool, understanding the differences between concrete and fibreglass pools can help you make an informed decision. Here are the basic distinctions:
- Construction Process: Concrete pools are constructed on-site using a framework of steel bars, which are then sprayed or poured with a mixture of concrete and sand. This process can be time-consuming and may require regular maintenance to prevent cracks and leaks. On the other hand, fibreglass pools are pre-formed, which ensures consistent quality.
- Long-Term Considerations: Fibreglass pools have better energy efficiency than concrete due to their insulation properties. They also have a longer lifespan as they can withstand temperature changes without cracking or leaking.
What Are The Benefits Of A Fibreglass Pool?
- Quick Installation: Fibreglass pools are pre-built and delivered to your property which results in faster installation compared to concrete pools.
- Low Maintenance: The smooth and non-porous surface of a fibreglass pool makes it resistant to algae and other stains. Unlike concrete pools, fibreglass pools require less chemical treatment and maintenance, saving you time and money in the long run.
- Comfort and Safety: The smooth surface of a fibreglass pool minimises the risk of cuts. Additionally, fibreglass pools have a non-slip surface which reduces the possibility of accidents.
Factors That May Impact The Longevity Of A Fibreglass Pool
To ensure the longevity of your fibreglass pool, several factors should be considered, including:
It’s important to choose a reputable manufacturer that uses high-quality materials and follows rigorous production standards. This will ensure that your pool stands the test of time.
Appropriate Product Selection
The local weather/climate will impact upon the shell that’s most appropriate for your home. For instance, in regions like the Northern Territory, where extreme weather is common, a thicker shell will typically be required for longevity.
Hire experienced professionals who have expertise in fibreglass pool installation. A well-executed installation will minimise the risk of future problems and ensure the pool’s longevity.
By following a regular and proactive maintenance routine, you can ensure that your fibreglass pool remains in optimal condition for years to come.
How To Maintain A Fibreglass Pool
Fibreglass pool maintenance involves several steps:
- Regular Cleaning: Skim the surface of the pool to remove leaves and debris. Use a pool cleaner to clean the pool floor and walls.
- Water Testing: Regularly bring your pool water in-store for water testing. Adjust to ideal levels to keep the water safe for swimming all year round.
- Surface Care: Use a non-abrasive cleaner to remove any stains or marks on the pool surface. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that can damage the gel coat.
- Equipment Inspection: Check the pool equipment, such as the filter, pump and heater regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.
Transform Your Backyard With A Fibreglass Pool
At Darwin Fibreglass Pools and Spas, we provide high-quality fibreglass pools in a wide variety of colours, shapes, sizes and designs to suit your specific needs. Contact us today to discuss your requirements and our team will help you find the perfect swimming pool.